At Malvern Panalytical we take your privacy seriously. We see it as our duty of care to keep personal data safe and to ensure that all personal data is used and stored appropriately. Our culture of respect means we do not misuse personal data in our possession.
We appreciate the interest you have shown in our company, products and services by visiting our website (www.MalvernPanalytical.com) or any related online channels such as our e-commerce site, social media pages, and blogs (together the ‘Website’).
This Privacy Notice explains what kind of personal data is collected and how it is used by Malvern Panalytical when you interact with us, such as through visiting our Website, your use or purchase of our products or services, your contact with customer support, your subscription to our newsletters, your participation in our webinars or any other interaction with Malvern Panalytical, including without limitation all online and offline collection of personal data.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Privacy Notice, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Who we are
Malvern Panalytical originates from the merger of Malvern Instruments Ltd. and PANalytical B.V., with headquarters in the UK and the Netherlands respectively. Both are subsidiaries of Spectris plc. Any personal information provided to or gathered by any of the Malvern, PANalytical or Malvern Panalytical entities or branches worldwide, will be controlled by Malvern Ltd, PANalytical B.V. or their legal successor Malvern Panalytical
Types of personal data we may collect
When interacting with Malvern Panalytical, for example when using, enquiring about or purchasing our products, services or solutions, we collect personal data. The personal data we collect depends on the type of interaction, but may include the following:
- Contact details: your name, email address, postal address, phone number(s), and other similar contact details.
- Demographic data, such as your country and preferred language.
- Payment data in order to process any payment you make. Such data may include your credit card details
- Credentials for security, such as your passwords, password hints and similar information which enables us to authenticate you and provide you access to your account
- Transaction history, meaning information concerning your historic interaction with us
- Usage data, for example your use of our website or information related to your online behavior, and your marketing preferences.
By visiting our Website, we may also collect your IP address and cookie ID, as well as your device identifiers. More detailed information about the cookies we use can be found in our Cookie Notice.
Personal data obtained from third parties
We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers) and may receive such personal data about you from them. Such data obtained from third parties will be kept in accordance with the same duty of care as described in this notice, and with any additional restrictions imposed by the third party that shared your personal data.
Use and processing of your personal data
In summary, Malvern Panalytical uses your personal data for
(1) the operation of our business: meaning amongst others the processing of your orders and payments, give follow up on your requests and maintain your online account in order to enable you to download software updates and accessing additional content on our Website. This kind of use of your personal data is done on the basis of a contract or to meet your requests. In addition, we administer our relationship with you and keep records of your purchases and enquiries, for example to comply with legal obligations we may have.
(2) sending communications, including marketing communications if you have subscribed to receiving those messages. We use personal data to communicate with you and personalize our communications with you. Communications may be sent to you in view of the operation of our business, for example by sending invoices (as explained above), or because you have consented to receiving such communications.
(3) enhancing our products, services and solutions, including our Website and your experience while using our Website. In carrying out these purposes, we may combine data we collect to give you a more seamless, consistent and personalized experience. For example, we may provide you with personalized recommendations on our Website, based on your use of our Website. We are able to do this through cookies or similar technology we may have implemented on our Website. Details of such cookies and how you can disable them can be found in our Cookie Notice.
We may convert your personal data into statistical or aggregated data in such a way as to ensure that you are not identified or identifiable from that data. We may use this aggregated data to conduct market research and analysis, including to produce statistical research and reports. We may share such anonymous aggregated data with third parties. Aggregated and anonymous personal information does not personally identify you.
We will generally process your personal data only for the purposes set out above. If we use your personal data for other / additional purposes, extra data protection measures will be implemented if required by law. In addition, in some jurisdictions, data protection law requires that the processing of your personal data for some or all of the purposes described above (including the provision of direct marketing to you) must be on the basis of your consent and, therefore, where consent is necessary, our processing of your personal data is on the basis of your consent.
Please note that where your consent is required in order to process your personal data, you are entitled to refuse to give your consent or revoke it any time. However, by not providing your consent (or revoking it), we may not be able to provide the relevant services to you.
Sharing of your personal data
We may share your personal data with your consent or as necessary to complete or follow up on any transaction with us or to provide any products, service or solution you have requested or authorized. In particular, we may share your personal data with the following recipients:
• our affiliates and subsidiaries, distributors or agents working on our behalf. For example, we may share your personal data with our affiliates if we deem this necessary for offering you a complete solution for the business needs presented by you, or with our agents for servicing the products you purchased.
• our affiliates within Spectris Group so that they can send you information in relation to products, services or solutions that may be of interest to you. Such disclosures will be pursuant to your consent (where required, in accordance with applicable laws). You can read more about this under “Direct Marketing”.
• third parties, if such processing is needed for information risk purposes, including, for example, administration of the Website and protecting and securing our systems and services, or, if such processing is needed for using the cookies you consented to, for example sharing in view of services provided by Google analytics.
• governmental and regulatory bodies and other third parties where required to do so by applicable law, such as to comply with a court order or a request from a regulator or similar legal process or where otherwise necessary to comply with a legal obligation or for the administration of justice.
• third parties concerned or their professional advisors, in the event of a merger, acquisition, or any form of sale of some or all of our assets. In the event of such a transaction, the personal data held by us may be among the assets transferred to the buyer.
In some cases, this may involve transferring your personal data to other countries (including the U.K., the U.S., Canada and other countries inside and outside the European Economic Area) where Malvern Panalytical and/or other third parties operate and process your personal data. Please be aware that countries which are outside your jurisdiction, may not offer the same level of data protection as is provided in your jurisdiction. We will however conclude agreements with the relevant third parties involved, limiting the purposes for which your personal data can be used and disclosed, and requiring your personal data to be adequately safeguarded.
Our range of products, services and solutions is constantly evolving to match the increasingly sophisticated markets in which we operate. Therefore, we may wish to provide you with information about similar or the same products, services, solutions, promotions and offers, to those about which you receive or have enquired about and which may be of interest to you. We may also invite you to take part in market research or request feedback on our products, services and solutions. Such communications may be via e-mail, telephone, post or SMS.
However, we will not send such communications without your prior consent (where required, in accordance with applicable laws) and you can exercise your right to prevent such processing by either not opting in to receive such communications or you may opt-out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each communication.
Please note that marketing communications are not the same as “information only” communications and that we may communicate with you about the products you have purchased, or the services or solutions you have requested, using contact details you have provided for this purpose without your express consent being required.
Protection of your personal data
We use the industry-standard security protocol Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) to encode more sensitive information, such as credit card numbers for online purchase transactions via the Website. We employ the latest 128-bit encryption technology in all areas of the Website, which require you to provide personal or account information. This means that the credit card information you send is encrypted by your computer, and then decrypted again on our side, which limits the risk of others from accessing your private information when in transfer. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your web browser or looking for "https" at the beginning of the address of the web page.
While we use encryption to protect credit card numbers and similar transaction information, please be aware that no method of transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. Although we take reasonable security measures to protect your personal data when we receive it, you also need to ensure you take appropriate steps to protect your personal data.
We also seek to protect your personal data offline. Only employees who need the information to perform specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to relevant personal data.
Retention of your personal data
We will retain your personal data as long as necessary for the purposes set out when collecting your personal data or as required by relevant laws and regulations.
The criteria we use to determine data retention periods includes the following:
• Retention in case of queries
We may retain your personal data for a reasonable period after you have enquired about products, services or solutions, in case of follow up queries from you.
• Retention in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements
We will consider whether we need to retain your personal data after the period of retention in the case of queries (above) because of a legal or regulatory requirement. Some or all of these criteria may be relevant to retention of your personal data collected from you in connection with our products, services, solutions and/or your use of the Website.
• Retention permitted under applicable law
We will continue to retain personal data where necessary to provide our services to you and the retention of such personal data if necessary for the purposes of pursuing our legitimate interests or where it is necessary for public interest purposes.
Access to your personal data
You have the right to request confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is processed by us and you have reasonable access to your personal data, in order for your personal data to be updated, modified, or, if legally possible, deleted. In order for us to respond to your request, we may require you to verify your identity. You also have the right to withdraw your consent to any processing for which you have previously given that consent.
We encourage you to update your own personal data through your account on our Website. If you have registered yourself on our Website, you can log into your account to update your personal data and marketing preferences.
Please be aware that we may reject requests that are unreasonably repetitive, require disproportionate technical effort (for example, developing a new system or fundamentally changing an existing practice), risk the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup systems).
Links to other websites
Our Website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over the other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information that you provide while visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this Privacy Notice. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Amendments to this Privacy Notice
We may update this Privacy Notice to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any changes we will update you by means of a notice on the Website. We encourage you to periodically review the Website for the latest information on our privacy practices and this Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, your use of the Website, our products, services, solutions or your dealings with us, in relation to our use of your personal data, you can contact us via the following contact details:
Version October 2017